Keep the Campfires Burning
One year ago in 2020, we were wrestling with the impact and burden that COVID brought unexpectedly to camp, both programmatically and financially. We lost 75% of our retreat ministry and were unable to run summer overnight camps. Day camps ran successfully and for that we are extremely grateful.
Advance one year to 2021 and we are pleased to report that we operated both day and overnight camps this summer and many of our retreat groups have begun to return. We were able to minister to 1,580 campers in all our summer programs from June through August. This includes day camps, overnight camps, family camp, grandparent/grandchild weekend camp and our mission’s trip weeks. The mission’s program includes our staff working with church youth groups providing a free week of day camp to trailer parks in Rochester. But the real blessing is that we ran all summer – COVID free. We are so grateful!
Some important milestones from this year:
- 58 campers made a decision to trust Jesus Christ as their personal Savior
- We raised $64,833 in scholarship funding, helping 378 children experience camp
- While we are still feeling the effects of the pandemic on our year-round weekend camps and retreat programs, we thank the Lord for growing back to 65% of pre-COVID occupancy
- 2 new full-time staff; a new summer overnight camp director, Sam Smith, and a director of discipleship and recruiting, Emmarie Moon
- We had over 200 volunteers this year. Volunteers play a critical role in keeping this ministry alive and functioning.
While programmatically things are bouncing back, our facilities are showing their age. Most of Camp Victory’s buildings are 16 years old and have repairs needs.
- The air conditioning units in the six A-frame cabins need to be replaced over the next three years. Each unit will cost $2,300.
- Each of the A frame cabins need window replacements at an estimated $5,100 each.
- The Timber Lodge AC unit has gone bad and will require $1,800 to repair in 2022.
- The 2006 Chevy 15 passenger van is on its last legs and needs to be replaced next year
This has been a great year and God has provided in so many ways through this pandemic. I ask that you consider a gift to help us finish the year strong and ready for 2022. You may also consider helping with one of the facilities needs as well.
3 ways to donate:
- Camp Victory Website – see below for options
- Mail or deliver a check- 58212 403rd Ave, Zumbro Falls, MN 55991